It gives me great pleasure to be able to announce that Daniel Jetschin will be coming over for the 3D Championship weekend to fly Avant Aurora helicopter demonstrations.
We’re thrilled that a big name manufacturer has jumped on board to support our event in this way and we would like to extend our thanks to Avant RC and Midland Helicopters for helping to make this happen.
It really does feel like this is the new UK 3D RC Helicopter Event, which is refreshing after loosing the 3D Masters to Spain 😀
Date: Saturday and Sunday 26th and 27th September 2009
Croft Farm Waterpark
View Larger Map
Avants very effective marketing strategy
(Full photo shoot in link below)
Check out the new look website at www.avantrc.com, in particular have a look at the Products section, very exciting 😀
I’ve been lucky enough to have owned an Aurora for over a year now and I must say it’s an amazing machine. For sometime now I’ve been running a custom head configuration based on the “Active” setup in the manual. Let just say active is truly active, which is fine on those still dead calm days but when the wind is up I find the heli a little flighty or jumpy which can be a little unnerving.
At first I attacked the problem by adding more expo but really once you get up to about 30%+ it’s just getting a little silly. I then moved to the outer hole on the flybar carrier, then finally tried the inner hole (on the flybar cage side) on the upper mixing arm. You’ll also notice that I flipped the upper mixing arm in order to give the link from the swash to upper mixing arm more clearance to minimize the possibly of binding.
Basically this an “Active” setup with the “Ultra Stable” flybar configuration which I’m finding really smooths out the flight characteristic while maintaining the edgy-ness of “Active”. Needless to say I can now drop the expo down to a more reasonable value, at the moment it around 20% but I’m sure it can go further.
The last couple of flights on my Aurora have been plagued with governor surging issues. Turns out the sensor cable had one of the plastic tabs broken off that holds the wire crimp in place. That plus some standard heli vibrations was enough to cause a bad sensor connection (gov on, gov off, gov on, gov off) …cut solder job done 😛