Archive

Archive for the ‘Crash Log’ Category

GForce Upgrade – Aurora Metal Tail Grips

April 7th, 2010 3 comments

GForce LogoThe other weekend I had one of the plastic tail grips fail on my Avant Aurora, which is essentially the first flight failure I’ve had with the Aurora. The arm on the tail blade grip which holds the ball fatigued, cracked and the ball pulled out. Fortunately I was able to get the heli down with minimal damage.

(broken plastic tail grip)
aurora-broken-grip

Needless to say I’m now looking for a metal tail grip solution to replace the stock Avant plastic ones (which perform fine… they are just not durable enough IMHO). After digging around it turns out GForce maybe able to offer a solution if there is enough demand for an initial run of replacement grips. Hence a show of hand is required to get and indication of how many people would be seriously interested in a set. (yes I know Avant have some in the pipe line, but there is no indication of when that will be)

If you are interested in a set of quality metal tail grips specifically designed for the Avant Aurora please contact Garf at GForce to express your interest, his email can be found in the following thread on RunRyder: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t579394p1/

 
 
 

Auto stall

August 10th, 2009 No comments

Broken Head LinksWhat an amazing weekend for flying, no wind and perfect visibility. I had a very lucky escape while Autoing, I was doing high autos with abrupt stops and they were getting progressively more and more aggressive. On my final flight I stalled and hit the deck flat on the skids of my Trex 700 much to the amazement of the club members there…I’m a born entertainer 😀 The funny thing is the only damage is a slightly bent skid which was bent from the last crash anyway and two broken main blade links, thank god I removed my head button. The main thing is the blades are fine, broken blades, broken Radix SP 710 blades, would have brought a tear to my eye. This was my get out of jail free card.

 

Bent Skid

Trex600EP Goes in…

July 6th, 2009 No comments

600 Main shaft - fucked It happened again last Wednesday, I dumb thumbed her in…The conditions were good, 8-10mile winds, good visibily, I did have a new transmitter which I must admit I wasn’t 100% used to.  Although I did fly all this weekend without incident so I guess I can’t used that excuse 😛

Turns out the crash damage was quite minimal, she’s fixed already minus a new set of blades. My only concern is the weight of the heli continues to increase due to more and more application of expoxy to the canopy.

Categories: Crash Log, General Discussion Tags: , ,

Good Day on Sunday but…

June 10th, 2009 No comments

Sunday turned out to be a good day for flying down at EMHC, I ended up getting some good piro work in. Towards the end of the day after about 5 liters of fuel I lost the heli on a high speed inverted backwards circuit. I over corrected and shaved off too much headspeed to re-correct and ended up in the long grass/hedge at the edge of the field. Fortunately the headspeed was low and grass long (thanks to the groundsman) so damage was minimised. At this point I remind myself why I invested in a Trex700, smile and order some more parts. The moral of the story is crashes happen at the end of a long day, so quite while your ahead :)

For me the moral of the story is crashes happen at the end of the day so quite while you’re ahead.

Trex 700 Crash

Categories: Crash Log, General Discussion Tags: , ,